Chris Radek wrote:

> I see you're using bare H bridges which means you don't have a
> velocity loop.  I think this problem with FF1 is because of that, and
> it is a fairly fundamental problem with a torque-mode setup.

My PWM servo system is very similar, essentially a voltage-mode amplifier
commanded by PWM output.  So, PWM duty cycle commands a voltage to
the motor.  Back-EMF is pretty dominant, so it works like a velocity
servo with
low gain, and therefore low stiffness.  But, I find that FF1 works VERY
well to
correct for the finite gain.   I only have experience with this on my
minimill, and I
have a lot of reduction between motor and table -  4:1 belt reduction
and 16 TPI
screws.  I can imagine a case where the motor is less well matched where
motor resistance
would tend to bog it down at higher speeds.  I seem to recall from your
pic that the
motors were directly driving the leadscrews, and they did not look to be
very large
motors.

Once you have FF1 correcting the cruise error, then a TINY amount of FF2
fixes the
spikes during deceleration.  I have 128,000 encoder counts/inch on my
minimill,
and can usually get the error down to about .00005", or about 6 encoder
counts,
during acceleration, and even less during cruise, up to above 60 IPM.

Jon