On 8 July 2010 02:43, Chris Radek <ch...@timeguy.com> wrote:

> One step more complicated is to have dual pid loops, a torque loop
> inside a velocity.  I'm not sure what you'd use for torque/current
> feedback, though.  Normally that's current sensing in hardware, and
> you have no equivalent that I can see.

I _think_ what you would have in such a dual PID loop would be a loop
closed by velocity but controlled by duty-cycle (and motor torque is
at least approximately directly proportional to PWM duty cycle) driven
by a loop closed by position and controlled by velocity.

ie the Axis position goes into the first loop and the error becomes a
velocity demand for the second loop, where the velocity error becomes
a torque/current demand.

Adding current feedback would probably be a third loop in the chain.

But take everything I say with a pinch of salt, I have only tuned one
servo axis ever, and that only well enough to prove out a motor
driver.

--
atp