On Sat, Sep 4, 2010 at 7:01 AM, Viesturs Lācis <viesturs.la...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I am asking this question here for the 3rd time and I hope that
> finally someone will answer:
>
> EMC2 is switching from world mode to joint mode, if I go from "manual
> control" tab to "MDI" tab. I have EMC 2.4.3.1 version on Lucid, and
> unfortunately I do not know, how exactly I can replicate this error,
> because usually, when I go to MDI tab, EMC stays in world mode.
>
> Problem is that I have a gantry machine and, this error is breaking
> the machine, when I try to jog.
>
> What can I do about it? What information should I provide?

> Thank You in advance!
>
> Viesturs
>
> Viesturs,
  I have not done this so my answer is theoretical not empirical. My
approach would be as follows:

set up X1 as a normal axis homing with the index pulse on the X encoder
set up X2 as U (in the .ini file) using the encoder feedback from X1 as the
movement commands for U (X2). This would cause U (X2) to be a slave to X1.
the U axis would also home from the U axis encoder's index pulse
I would match the drive system (motors and amps) for both gantry drives and
tune them exactly the same.
I don't know how much alignment error is permissible in your setup ie - how
much X position error is allowed before machine damage - surely there is
some
I would set up home sequence to home both X and U at the same time.
I would set up both home switches to trip as close to the same time as
possible with the goal of homing U first.
I would adjust each encoder so the index pulse is in the correct radial
location for X and U to get your timing correct and minimize axis
misalignment.
I would use home offset on U to do the alignment adjustment as any motion of
X would drive U.
It would be possible to use hal to disable homing on X until U is homed to
ensure U homes first. This would probably cause the most misalignment and
stress on the machine but with the correct encoder adjustment and home
switch adjustment this could be greatly minimized.

connecting U (X2) as a slave to X1 would cause U to move any time X moved
without regard to modes (I think)
hope this helps
thanks
Stuart