As most of you probably know, the latest version of Ubuntu has been released
a couple months ago: Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx.
(http://www.canonical.com/news/ubuntu-10.04-desktop-edition)

As it is another LTS release (3 year support on the Desktop version - which
we use), we consider that it's important to have emc2 packages (along with
the needed infrastructure: patched kernel, rtai, etc) for it.

Our special thanks go to Moses McKnight (mozmck) who took the time (and
responsability) to go through the daunting process of building all the
packages
and putting everything together in form of this LiveCD.

Now we have: binary packages, a repository for them, and a LiveCD for
easy testing and install.
(this procedure took a longer period of time, until the packages/LiveCD were
free of issues, and I would like to thank all testers that helped during
this process).

== note ==

Before describing download and install procedures I would like to point out
that at this point the packages have been tested by a large number of
people, and only a very few problems have been reported so far (on some
exotic hardware with 6 core CPUs).

However I do not encourage at this point to replace a working hardy install
with the new lucid version, unless there is really good reason to do so.
Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron is still supported until april 2011, and as long as
it's
supported we will be building emc2 packages for it.

The cases where you should chose Lucid over Hardy are:
* new hardware that doesn't work on hardy
* you're doing a brand new install
* SMP support (more than one CPU and/or CPU core)
* you just want to help with testing the new release

== Installing/testing procedures: ==

1. starting with a LiveCD (provides means for testing only, or even install
if wanted) (the suggested way to try it out)

Step 1: Download the iso from:
http://www.linuxcnc.org/lucid/ubuntu-10.04-linuxcnc1-i386.iso
(note:  this URL might change in the future, reference
http://www.linuxcnc.org/ for the latest download link, and for a description
of known problems).

Step 2: Check the MD5SUM (note: also mentioned at http://www.linuxcnc.org/,
the latest one is: 5283b33b7e23e79da1ee561ad476b05f)

Step 3: burn the image

Step 4: boot it on your PC (Note: the LiveCD contains two modes: live/test
and
install. The Live version requires 384Mb RAM but an existing swap partition
on the harddrive will be picked up, so it might be possible to boot the Live
version on systems with less memory. The install mode needs as little as
256MB for installing).
If you're happy with how it works/looks, install it on your machine.

Step 5: report problems (&successes) encountered

2. starting with an existing Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx install

Step 1: Install Ubuntu 10.04

Step 2: Once you have installed Ubuntu , get the install script from here:
 http://www.linuxcnc.org/lucid/emc2-install.sh , choose "Save to Disk" and
click OK.

Step 3: Now an emc2-install.sh icon will appear on your Desktop. Right-click
that icon, select Properties. Go to the Permissions tab and check the box
for Owner: Execute. Close the Properties window.

Step 4: Now double-click the emc2-install.sh icon, and select "Run in
Terminal". A terminal will appear and you will be asked for your password.

Step 5: When the installation asks if you are sure you want to install the
EMC2 packages, hit Enter to accept. Now just allow the install to finish.

Step 6: When it is done, you must reboot (System > Log Out > Restart the
Computer) - once you have rebooted you can run EMC2 by selecting it on the
Applications > CNC menu.

Step 7: If you aren't ready to set up a machine configuration, try one of
the
sim configurations; they run a "simulated machine" that require no
attached hardware.

== Reporting problems & getting help ==

Reporting issues/problems/nags/ideas for improvements or anything else, can
be done via email (on this list), via IRC (#emc-devel on irc.freenode.net)
or via bug-reports at:

Thanks for your patience, and for all the help to make it another great
release.

Best regards,
Alex Joni