> For the soldering issue, I am thinking that there are people on the list
that
> already have the skill and tooling, and might be willing to run a batch or
two
> for a nominal fee. "Many hands make light work" so if (big
> IF) a batch of boards gets made, there may be an inquiry made for
soldering
> them.

All you need is a soldering iron with a small tip.  With good eye-sight, or
a magnifying lamp, you can solder individual pins of a 0.5mm pitch chip.  Or
use the flood solder and de-wick method.

> A few years back (maybe more) I had Sparkfun make some boards for me.
> The price was very good, but I had to wait a few weeks for them to fill a
> panel, then send the job to China, have the board house find a space in
their
> normal production schedule, then ship the panel to SF. SF would then break
> the panel out and ship. It seemed to be the best deal going at the time,
but I
> guess hobby fab has come a long way since then?

They forked off another company to do that, www.batchpcb.com.  They fill a
couple of panels a day now.  Still a two week turn around to get the boards
built, but it's hard to beat the prices for one or two small boards.