On Tuesday, January 03, 2012 05:06:21 AM Viesturs Lācis did opine:

> 2012/1/2 gene heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com>:
> > I've found a barebones box with a D525 board in it, for $120, claims
> > to have the lpt on the back panel already.  Needs a couple sticks of
> > ddr2, a smallish sata drive and a dvd reader.
> >
> > <http://www.outletpc.com/rj3658.html>
> >
> > $120 kit
> > $ 29 ram
> > $ 80 500G sata3 drive
> > $ 40 laptop style dvd drive, don't see how desktop would fit
> > $ 24 keyboard/mouse with usb rf dongle
> > _____
> > $293 + whatever
> >
> > Looks like it would be a ready to install 10.04 on.
> >
> > What do the folks here think of this kit?
>
> It is great, but why do You want that dvd?!?

For installs, old habits die hard I guess.

> I would recommend purchasing 4GB usb stick for half of the dvd price and
> keep live-CD install on it.
> D525 perfectly boots from USB stick and that way You do not have to
> waste a dvd disk, when new live-CD is created, but simply re-create
> the usb install.

I do not currently have a machine that can boot from either usb or network,
and that includes this $300 Asus mobo with a quad core phenom on it.  So
ATM, the only universal boot to install method I have is to maintain a
working internal optical drive in every box.

> D525 is good for EMC, yesterday I counted that I have used D525 in 4
> EMC machines. Latency is good. I must admit that all 4 machines use
> hardware step generation and thus are not "familiar" with base-thread,
> only servo-thread. But one of the machines - the welding robot - is
> happily running the servo thread at 1,5 kHz update rate with 6 joints
> and non-trivial kinematics, so there is some load for calculations.
>
> I just would like to warn You about using D525 and LPT-based I/O card
> that requires EPP mode - Intel has screwed it up, I had a very bad
> experience with 3 D525 boards, other users can report success, so be
> careful.

I followed that discussion rather closely, but for steppers it doesn't
appear that fully working EPP is required.  In fact, I have no clue what
mode that Startech card I am using so nicely is actually in.  I plugged it
it, reset the address to "0xd000 out  " in the .hal file and it Just
Works(TM)

This current box I run emc on, I left the latency-test running when I went
to bed the first time.  Amanda has since been fired off and made a level0
backup of the important bits of the install, and that ran the jitter up
well past 100 u-secs, 105 TBE.  So it doesn't look as if I should be
leaving it running a critically busy overnight job.  The one job I did have
it do overnight involved very slow motions as it ran a diamond wheel just
barely touching the teeth of a carbide toothed table saw blade that needed
a tuneup.  The blade worked well, but I have since found a better one, a
CMT branded one with ATBF teeth.  Sweet, no burns even in cherry.  Cuts
take finish directly from the table saw.

Thanks Viesturs.

Cheers, Gene
Remember the... the... uhh.....