On Wednesday, January 18, 2012 12:25:34 AM Greg Bernard did opine:

> Gene-
> When you say the pin asssingments are incorrect are you referring to the
> schematic symbol or the footprint? Quite often the locations of pins on
> the schematic do not match the physical locations on the component. I
> assume this is done for convenience in drawing the schematic. What
> matters is if the pin numbers are correct. The footprint of the
> component that appears in the brd drawing is where you need to look for
> correct location of pins. I'm  only about a half-dozen circuits into
> learning Eagle and I can tell you that a lot of the counter-intuitive
> details will soon make sense. When I first started with Eagle I ran
> away from it and tried a couple of the alternatives but found them no
> easier. The great thing about Eagle is it's nearly universal in the
> hobbyist world which makes it easy to use OP's circuits and libraries.
> By the way, another source of useful libraries are the Sparkfun and
> Adafruit websites. These are smaller libraries more attuned to the
> components we are likely to use and can save a lot of searching through
> the vast and confusing library that comes with Eagle.
>
> Good luck!
>
> -Greg

Well, the only marks on the package show on top of it and they are
confusing.  On about a 20x blowup of the pdf'd brochures page showing the
pin names, it looks like this for a bottom view.

led end           sensor end
|-------------------------------|
|     K .          .vcc         |
|   0                .vo    0   |
|     A .          .gnd         |
|-------------------------------|

And the footprint in the library has both + terminals on the same side.

And its this ambiguity in the docs on this stuff that cost me the last 3 of
a different type device about 18 months go when I was gung ho to do this
then, and it all smoked in about 10 milliseconds when I applied 5 volts.

The markings on the tops of the towers are of zero utility other than being
marked with a + sign on opposite corners, and I presume the 3 or E on one
end is the emitter end, and the 5 or S on the other towers top means
sensor, it has 3 leads out the bottom at least.  And that also corresponds
with the rest of the outline drawings supplied with the HoneyWell HAO2001
slot sensor.

Cheers, Gene
In most instances, all an argument proves is that two people are present.