Gene-
When you say the pin asssingments are incorrect are you referring to the
schematic symbol or the footprint? Quite often the locations of pins on the
schematic do not match the physical locations on the component. I assume this
is done for convenience in drawing the schematic. What matters is if the pin
numbers are correct. The footprint of the component that appears in the brd
drawing is where you need to look for correct location of pins. I'm  only about
a half-dozen circuits into learning Eagle and I can tell you that a lot of the
counter-intuitive details will soon make sense. When I first started with Eagle
I ran away from it and tried a couple of the alternatives but found them no
easier. The great thing about Eagle is it's nearly universal in the hobbyist
world which makes it easy to use OP's circuits and libraries. By the way,
another source of useful libraries are the Sparkfun and Adafruit websites.
These are smaller libraries more attuned to
 the components we are likely to use and can save a lot of searching through
the vast and confusing library that comes with Eagle.

Good luck!

-Greg