On 18.01.12 07:54, Ed Nisley wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-01-18 at 13:46 +1100, Erik Christiansen wrote:
> > Nope, to update the library info used in an open schematic editor, hit
> > Library->Update and select the modified library, or just use
> > Library->Update_All.
>
> That's exactly what I expected to work, but it didn't:
>
> http://softsolder.com/2011/11/13/emc2-logitech-gamepad-trigger-button-name-change/
>
> Of course, that involved a pin name change, rather than a footprint or
> wiring change, which may make all the difference.
>
> Mutter...

 ... mumble and gnash teeth in frustration. :-)

Yes, it does make all the difference, AIUI.

The pin name change on the library component is going to muck up
the netlist for that circuit track, causing a dummy spit when the
library is updated, because there's nowhere to connect the old name,
still in the netlist. Deleting the green "wire" connection to the
renamed pin, in the schematic, will remove the old name from the
netlist. Replacing the wire adds the new name to the netlist. Job done.

To dodge Murphy, I'd prefer to do the disconnection of the offending pin
prior to clicking Library->Update, so there's no trace of the old name in
any netlist when the update is done.

Granted, if there's only one or two instances of the component on which
the pin name has changed, then component deletion and replacement
(instead of the wire) is another way to update the netlist.

However, if we have to change the physical pinout on Gene's
opto-interrupter, using the library editor's "Connect" dialogue, then
Library->Update is all that is needed, because the netlists are
unchanged. If the board has been laid out before the pinout is changed,
then the last track segments to those pins revert to "air-wires" IIRC,
and you just go in and run them to the new pinout.

Well, the above is as near as I can tell from going a few rounds now and
then with the application.

Erik

--
Wizards had always known that the act of observation changed the thing that
was observed, and sometimes forgot that it also changed the observer too.