Regarding messing with the g-code interpreter, my vote is that g-code
should describe axis position, feedrate; and spindle speed and
direction, and little more. Everything else should be handled with CAM,
including canned cycles and such. Less is more.

If one insists on "improving" g-code, I would start over with a language
using keywords rather than letters. The need to to extract the most
context from single symbols is a throwback from when teletypes ran at
300 Baud.

Just my opinion based on very limited experience.
--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/index.html