On Thu, 2012-02-02 at 22:21 -0500, gene heskett wrote:
> what can he use for an exciting signal?

It seems I'm missing something obvious. I thought the idea was to move
the motor back & forth while comparing the commanded (presumably, the
actual) position with the encoder's (also, presumably, the actual)
position to see if there's any lag / jitter / instability between the
two.

Using freqgen (plus stepgen or whatever the motor might require) to
drive the motor should accomplish the first part. Triggering halscope on
(some part of) the output signal, then displaying both output and input
traces will reveal their relation.

Then use siggen to ramp / sawtooth freqgen and you'll see how the
relation varies with speed & acceleration.

Yes?

--
Ed
http://softsolder.com