On 08.02.12 11:00, andy pugh wrote:
> On 8 February 2012 05:37, Erik Christiansen <dva...@internode.on.net> wrote:
>
> > But is the following much more readable than raw gcode?
> >
> > INDIRV/0,1,0      $$ direction the tool initially moves
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APT_(programming_language)
>
> Has an example. I think it is a little clearer than G-code.

Thanks for the example. It helps to get an idea of the language.

> An APT input-filter for EMC2 would be moderately easy.

OK ... yeees, I think I follow you. It would involve some simple maths,
and the syntax isn't as scary as it first appears.

> I don't think it necessarily answers the questions being asked. But I
> am not sure what questions are being asked.

Have you had a chance to glance over what the experimental parser does
with your idea for grouping all Spindle commands into a conceptual and
syntactical group, outlined in this morning's post, a little upthread?

Something similar could perhaps be done with arcs. Taking example 2 from
the LinuxCNC docs, where a G2 starts at X0 Y0:

Arc CW X0 Y1 Centre X1 Y0.5 Feedrate 25

That, or something along those lines, does seem more user-friendly for
hand-coders than either:

G2 X0 Y1 I1 J0.5 F25

or the Apt equivalent to implement the first arc in the wikipedia
example:

P2 = POINT / 20, -20, 0
C1 = CIRCLE / CENTER, P2, RADIUS, 30
TLLFT, GOFWD / L1, TANTO, C1
GOFWD / C1, TANTO, L2

So, maybe the question is, which format would an amateur occasional CNC
machine user find easier for hand coding an arc, and then have to edit
6 months later? (When I, J, and TLLFT are mysteries again.)

Erik

--
Gcode needs bringing up to date. We no longer need cater for paper tape.
                                      - Dave Caroline, on emc-users ML.