On Wed, 8 Feb 2012 11:43:48 +1100
Erik Christiansen <dva...@internode.on.net> wrote:

> On 07.02.12 07:11, Stuart Stevenson wrote:
> > APT does this and has since the 1960s.
>
> Thanks for the "heads up". That textual CAM package is very
> interesting, even though it neither documents our LinuxCNC dialect
> nor provides a more human readable variant of same. We could change
> our goal to gcode generation, but that would mean abandoning current
> goals.
>
> We read here:  http://aptos.sourceforge.net/WhatisApt.html
> that "Apt is a CAM system based on a special-purpose language.", and
> that "Most Apt compilers , however, are proprietary."
>
> So if we wanted to change our goal from a more readable gcode dialect
> to a full-blown CAM system, then we'd have to use an open source
> product, such as Apt360.
>
> Here: http://aptos.sourceforge.net/CurrentStatus.html
> we see that the author used it on one project six years ago.
>
> Here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/aptos/
> there are no reviews from the 17 downloads, and no visible signs of
> any project activity.
>
> Since there seems to be no life in the project (either Aptos, which
> the author has dropped in favour of Apt360, or Apt360 itself), I'm
> reluctant to get too excited about it now.
>
> > With AptOS you can create a script to read in an APT style
> > 'instruction list' and 'process and post' to have the gcode in
> > LinucCNC.
There is an emc postprocessor.

The code is in several parts ... original FORTRAN and the same code
converted to C. I would guess that most of the work is done but it
would seem to need several people that really understand the internals
to clean it up and test.

I struggled with some code for a lofted surface and finally sent it to
Stuart for verification: it would not run on Apt360 but would on NCL.

Until someone skilled or experienced really tries it we won't have much
of an idea how clean it is.

> There's probably documentation on its use out there somewhere, at
> least descriptions of the generic Apt language, so when I have need
> for CAM, I'll certainly take a look at it.

There is an ANSI standard dated 1999. About 28 Mb download .... costs
$30 and uses about 250-300 pgs double sided.

Krall, I,H. "Numerical Control Programming in APT" ( 1986) is of course
OP but available on the secondary market. ISBN 0-13-626599-5

HTH

Dave