On Tue, 2012-03-20 at 21:15 -0700, Karl Cunningham wrote:
> On 03/20/2012 04:47 PM, Kirk Wallace wrote:
> > it has the the M00 pauses and when I hit Esc, it exits the current
> > program run, so I would need to do a run from line (as I see you
> > mentioned above) on a new program run in order to "resume". If I had
> > several tool changes to do, this could get tricky, especially after
> > working twelve hour shifts, six days a week for three months (been
> > there) or after doing nothing on any CNC for several months and getting
> > a rush job (done that). Your method seems reasonable, but I'll need to
> > play with it some more to get a better understanding of how well it
> > works with different situations such as with conditional codes and other
> > "run from line" problems. Thanks for the tip Terry.
>
> One could include the "message to operator" construct:
> (MSG, bla bla bla)
> in the g-code to prompt the operator to do the right thing.
>
> Karl

I've got my brain sore thinking about this, so I'm a little foggy, but
it seems the safest way to do this is to break the g-code program into a
separate program for each tool change. If there where a way to make this
look like one run, that would be better. Also, it would be nice to be
able to use the same original part file for machines with repeatable
tool holders or machines or tool holders that need a touch off for each
change. The key to which type of change would be needed could be a
setting in a configuration file or a special code in the tool table. A
preprocessor could scan the g-code file for tool changes and create sub
files of the commands between tools of the touch off variety. Then call
the subfiles in sequence with a touch off macro between sub-runs. Checks
would be needed to make sure the contexts don't change or are correct.
Basically, automating what an operator would currently need to do by
hand.
--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/index.html