On Mar 30, 2012, at 1:59 PM, Viesturs Lācis wrote:

> 2012/3/30 Jeshua Lacock <jes...@3dtopo.com>:
>>
>> And, that is very interesting! When I run the CPU hog, my max jitter goes
>> down to about 1,000!
>
> Wow! How long did You run the latency test? Did You try to put some load to
> PC?

I let it run for about 10 minutes just doing normal activity - but if I am not
running the CPU hog it immediately jumps to around 8,000, versus about 500 with
the cpu-hog.

So that means whenever I am machining I would need a cpu hog running I guess?
It is really counterintuitive!

>> I would like to set the CPU as instructed, but I have never used grub
>> before. I assume I add "isolcpus=1" to the /boot/grub/grub.cfg file - but I
>> am not sure where to add it.
>
> Well, if You will open /boot/grub/grub.cfg filem You will see this
> line at the very top:
>
> # DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
>
> I really suggest following this kind advice. Especially if it is
> written with capital letters :))
>
> My googling results tell, that You should edit /etc/default/grub
> For that You will need root privileges. You can do that by running in
> terminal this command:
> sudo gedit
>
> Text editor will be opened, click "open" and find the file.
>
> There is a line:
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=" "
>
> Change it to:
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="isolcpus=1"
>
> Save the document, close text editor.
> To apply changes, run in terminal:
> sudo update-grub

Thanks, I have now done that, but I don't really notice any difference. Too
bad, it would have been a better solution than the cpu hog.

Best,

Jeshua Lacock
Founder/Engineer
3DTOPO Incorporated