On Apr 9, 2012, at 3:40 PM, Andy Pugh wrote:

> On 9 Apr 2012, at 11:20, Jeshua Lacock <jes...@3dtopo.com> wrote:
>
>> I have two wires from my power source connected to the Geckos, two wires
>> from the geckos to power the motor, the common wire, 5v and ground for the
>> encoder, then encoder A/B going to the Gecko, and step/dir coming from the
>> parallel port.
>
> I think the missing information here is that you are probably using a
> step-dir servo drive rather than open-loop steppers or servos with LinuxCNC
> closing the loop.
> If that is the case, then I am not sure that there is any need to connect the
> encoders to the PCI card.

Thanks Andy.

I guess the problem is I don't know all the terminology.

Yes, I guess that is correct. I assume the 'open-loop steppers or servos with
LinuxCNC closing the loop' is the best setup? For instance, that would allow
the fastest control, and double as a DRO when the power to the drives are off,
correct?

In which case, I don't mind rewiring the encoders. I just want whatever is best.

> I _think_ that the G540 firmware for the 5i25 emulates the 8(?) ground pins
> in a parport, which seems to waste some potentially useful IO. This matters
> less with a second header for the other 25 pins which I think are GPIO in
> that config.
>
> If the G320(?) has an f-error output then using that achieves much the same
> result as wiring the encoders back to LinuxCNC.

I think you lost me again.

:D

Best,

Jeshua Lacock