I don't think that would work well.  Think about the situation where you
have several (mostly straight) short line segments, the last being the
shortest, and then a 90deg turn.  I think many would find it unacceptable
to overshoot the last segment 10thou if you were doing something like
inside corners.

I only have two machines running linuxcnc so far (both commercial gantry
routers, both steppers) as a hobby so have limited experience but I don't
think the look ahead is that big of an issue *IF* the machine has decent
acceleration capability & is properly tuned to use it.  I can process
complex 3d profiling in wood on the big one right about the limit of my
spindle hp (~100ipm w/ a 1/2" ballmill).  Yes, it probably does limit me
slightly when doing a final finishing pass w/ a smaller bit.  When Im doing
aluminum sheet at ~30ipm its a total non-issue though.  I have a factory
CNC 3hp Wells Index knee mill w/ DC servos that Im retrofitting (slowly.)
If LinuxCNC can keep up on the gantrys it will be no problem FOR ME on the
knee mill.

But I see how it might be a limiting factor for a modern Hass class speed
machine w/ massive spindle hp and feed rates possible when profiling.  But
those would typ have very high acceleration levels to match.  Machines w/
very low acceleration levels will suffer the most as they won't be allowed
to get up to speed if you can't slow them down very fast.  Its like what
they say about driving at night: "Dont outdrive your headlights" :)

More segments of look ahead would no doubt be an improvement.  But how
much?  (seriously, I think we'd all like to know.)  Can people give
examples of machines and jobs where cutting speed is a problem due to
limited look ahead?  I don't have enough experience to even be able to
guess the magnitude of the issue.

Best,
Stephen

I think that if this is actually the case it would make more sense to