Viesturs Lācis wrote:
> I think that this issue is fighting the consequence instead of fixing
> the real cause.
> People want to change the "look ahead" behavior, but I am completely
> sure that fixing the cause - getting normal g-code is much easier. At
> least for those things that my machines are doing.

There are two issues. One is certainly G-code that asks for what the
machine cannot deliver.
High speeds into 90 degree turn.

The other, however, is more subtle. Assume a surface profiling task
where the machine
flies along in an almost straight line but moving, say, the Z axis up
and down a bit.
There are many short segments, but the G-code is well-behaved, never
asking for great
acceleration anywhere, but the vectors (or arcs) are very short. And, it
gradually
slows down at the end of the line, so no excessive deceleration is asked
for.
Well, LinuxCNC forces this program to run slowly, because it demands that
the velocity never exceeds what the machine can decelerate to a stop in
the next
block.
> My personal opinion is that instead of trying to tweak LinuxCNC for
> this, users with the "g-code consists of very small linear moves"
> problem should join their effort in finding a suitable CAM
> application.

In the case above, there may NOT be a CAM solution for this problem, if
you are
forced to specify all moves in basic G-code, and only check velocities
and accelerations
for this block and the next one block.

NURBS might solve the problem, at least by vastly reducing the number of
"blocks" to be scanned.

One quick and dirty fix (I tend to do things this way and regret it
later) is
to have an option that turns off the velocity limiting. If the G-code
is well-behaved and gives decreasing velocities as it approaches a corner,
this should allow the program to run faster. But, if the G-code ever
fails to handle this well, it will cause a following error stop in the
middle of a program! Not a good thing.

Jon