On May 8, 2012, at 11:07 PM, Kirk Wallace wrote:

> On Tue, 2012-05-08 at 22:26 -0600, Jeshua Lacock wrote:
> ... snip
>>
>> Here is the dmesg:
>>
>> [    8.519908] parport_pc 0000:08:00.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 18 (level, low) ->
>> IRQ 18
>> [    8.520179] parport0: PC-style at 0xc030 (0xc020), irq 18, using FIFO
>> [PCSPP,TRISTATE,COMPAT,EPP,ECP]
>> [    8.620688] lp0: using parport0 (interrupt-driven).
>
> My experience has been that the above is showing that the PCI card
> parallel port base address is at 0xC030 and the extended register
> address is at 0xC020. If you put these addresses into showport:
>
> "sudo ./showport C030 C020 n"
>
> The output should show an ECR value less than 128 if the port is in SPP
> or greater if in EPP. Changing the "n" to "e" should set EPP if it isn't
> already.

Hi Kirk,

Thanks. I get an ECR of 53.

> Once you get an ECR value greater that 127, you can test it with Jon's
> diagnostic program or run LinuxCNC.

Looks good - I get an ECR of 149.

> The 0x0378 address you may see is most often the address for the
> motherboard parallel port, with an extended register address of 778 (but
> the extended register could have a different address).

I see. As far as I know, there isn't a parallel port on the motherboard though.
Weird?

Alas, I still get a fault:

> univstepdiags c030 bus
io addr = c030
parport addr 0xc030
Segmentation fault

LinuxCNC fails to start with the same message as before.

Thanks,

Jeshua Lacock
Founder/Engineer
3DTOPO Incorporated