On May 8, 2012, at 8:33 PM, Jon Elson wrote:

> Jeshua Lacock wrote:
>>
>> I just installed my new Siig card and I am not having much better luck so
>> far. Launching LinuxCNC did not switch it to EPP mode.
>>

>> Here is what lspci reveals:
>>
>> 08:00.0 Parallel controller: Oxford Semiconductor Ltd OX9162 Mode 0
>> (parallel port) (prog-if 03)
>>      Subsystem: Siig Inc Device 2020
>>      Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 18
>>      I/O ports at c030 [size=8]
>>      I/O ports at c020 [size=4]
>>      I/O ports at c000 [size=32]
>>      Memory at fb100000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
>>      Capabilities: <access denied>
>>      Kernel driver in use: parport_pc
>>      Kernel modules: parport_pc
>>

>> I have tried your or Kirk Wallace's utilities yet because I want to make
>> sure I know what I am doing before I break something.
>>
> Well, I don't know.  I didn't have to do anything to make it work on the
> samples I had here.  Are you sure you know the right parallel port
> addresses for the board?

Hi Jon,

Yes, well at least I think so. What address could it be besides c030?

> How do you know it did not go to
> EPP mode?

I guess I don't know for sure. Your 'univstepdiag' program gives me a
'Segmentation fault' error and the output from dmesg after attempting to start
LinuxCNC is:

[    8.519908] parport_pc 0000:08:00.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 18 (level, low) -> IRQ
18
[    8.520179] parport0: PC-style at 0xc030 (0xc020), irq 18, using FIFO
[PCSPP,TRISTATE,COMPAT,EPP,ECP]
[    8.620688] lp0: using parport0 (interrupt-driven).

> Here's what I get on a Siig card that does work.
> Command was :   sudo lspci -vv

Here is the output of my card with those flags:

08:00.0 Parallel controller: Oxford Semiconductor Ltd OX9162 Mode 0 (parallel
port) (prog-if 03)
        Subsystem: Siig Inc Device 2020
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 18
        Region 0: I/O ports at c030 [size=8]
        Region 1: I/O ports at c020 [size=4]
        Region 2: I/O ports at c000 [size=32]
        Region 3: Memory at fb100000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
                Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2+ AuxCurrent=0mA
PME(D0+,D1-,D2+,D3hot+,D3cold-)
        Kernel driver in use: parport_pc
        Kernel modules: parport_pc

> Nowhere in there do I see anything that indicates whether it is, or
> isn't, in EPP mode.
> And, of course, there is the possibility that there is something wrong
> with your
> USC board.

Do you test the USC boards before you send them out? If so the board should be
fine. I have not applied any power to it other than the 9v wall wart and that
has only been wired up correctly.

Best,

Jeshua Lacock
Founder/Engineer