On May 19, 2012, at 6:55 PM, Jon Elson wrote:

>> I seem to have the damping turned all the way up on my Gecko 320, but it is
>> still underdamped.
>>
>> Is it possible to increase damping with the PID settings (I am using the
>> Pico Systems USC board)?
>>
>> Would gearing down my drive further help with damping if I it is not
>> possible to increase it any other way?
>>
> Are you sure it is the G320 that is underdamped, or the whole system
> response,
> including LinuxCNC?  Some amount of additional D in the PID should damp
> it further, maybe.  But, maybe you just need to turn down the gain on
> the G320
> and let LinuxCNC handle more of the gain.

Hi Jon,

Well lets just say the only thing that I am sure about is the drive is
under-damped.

;)

Tuning is proving to be insanely difficult for me, I guess mostly because I
don't really have much of a clue what I am doing. It is also kind of scary
because if I turn a POT on the Gecko just a tad in the wrong way the drive
violently rattles the whole table.

When it was just the Gecko, that was something I had a grip on. But now it is a
combination of the Gecko and the PID settings.

It may be that I am just trying to accelerate the drive faster than the system
can adequately damp it. This gantry is probably close to 200 pounds, and I just
don't know how fast I can expect to be able to accelerate it.

Does gearing a drive help with this? I seems in my mind it should. Gearing it
down further would give me increased torque and resolution so seems like a win
win.

In the meantime, I will try turning the gain POT down and the D up?

Best,

Jeshua Lacock
Founder/Engineer
3DTOPO Incorporated