On May 21, 2012, at 10:36 AM, Jon Elson wrote:

> Jeshua Lacock wrote:
>> Putting these numbers in immediately made the drive stable - even in closed
>> loop which is now what I am tuning.
>>
>> I was able to get the P up to 150. I can add some D, but it seems that it
>> only makes the drive more jittery without decreasing the error.
>>
> Well, then lower the D until the loop is stable.  At some point, too
> LITTLE D will also
> start to make it jittery, there should be a valley where it is good.

Thanks Jon!

I am actually going to wait until I get the new 5:1 gear box installed before I
tune things further, but there is one last thing I don't really have a grasp on.

It felt like I wanted to get P set as high as I could. Is that correct? Or as
long as P is high enough to command the machine to move is that adequate?

>> Can you tell me what exactly is the goal? Do I want the P as high was
>> possible while keeping it stable? In other words, why not just leave P at 50
>> or 100 and be done with it?
>>
> Yes, sure.  Once you have good, stable response where the following
> error is fairly low
> in the cruise portion of a move, then apply FF1 to make the error nearly
> zero there,
> then add tiny amounts of FF2 to reduce the error in the accel/decel
> ramps.  You should
> be able to get the error quite small, although with your encoder
> resolution (I'm
> guessing from some numbers you gave before that it is about 2000
> counts/inch)
> you may not be able to get below .002" or so under all conditions.  That's
> probably OK for a router, and already less than the overall accuracy and
> backlash
> of the mechanical part.

Got it, thanks!

>>> And, it may be that you are having feedback from the G320 drive's PWM
>>> outputs to
>>> the encoder cables.  This may be what is causing the "increasingly
>>> jittery" effect.
>>> Do you have shielded encoder cables?
>>
>> Yes. Do the shields need to be grounded to be useful?
>>
> Of course.  You should ground the shield at the control end only, so
> either the USC or the Gecko interface.

Thanks! So I use the ground from either the USC or Gecko?

>>> Are you using US Digital encoders that
>>> are known to be noise sensitive?
>>
>> Not on this first axis I am trying to tune. It is a Renco. My other two
>> axises are US Digital, but those will be replaced by CUI AMT102 encoders
>> when I get around to installing the new much more powerful motors for the
>> other 2 axises.
>>
> Hmmm, the AMT encoders have a lag in responding to acceleration, but it
> isn't as bad as I originally thought.  It seems to help to use less than the
> maximum resolution the encoder can provide.

Good to know! I guess I will set it for 1024 (instead of 2048) to start.

>> I just went ahead and ordered some differential encoder/decoders just to be
>> safe. Due to the size of the machine they are pretty long cables, I would
>> guess around 15 feet.
>>
> OK, that's a good plan.
>> Also, I routed my motor power lines as separately as I could. My encoders
>> exit the machine on the left side and the power on the right.
>>
> That should also help, although shielded encoder cables can be routed
> next to motor cables
> in most cases.  At least with my drives, that is fine, but they have the
> filters on the output.

Also good to know!

>> What is the goal with I once P and D are good?
>>
> Well, that's the problem.  I works great in a steady-state system, but
> CNC never is
> steady-state for long.  It looks back in time at the average error over
> some period
> and applies a correction.  But, as soon as the axis reverses, the
> correction is
> now in the wrong direction!  There are a bunch of other places where I
> also fails,
> such as the change from accel to cruise to decel, or when the cutter is
> cutting vs.
> out of the cut.  So, I would not work very hard with tuning I, and use it
> sparingly.  If you want, you can try setting I to 10% of P and see how
> it works.
> But, if the other params (P, D, FF1 and FF2) have reduced error to a good
> minimum, then the I term really has no error to work on, and is benign.

Thanks for the most understandable explanation of I that I have read yet!

>> Interesting, I can't seem to get D anywhere near that high. With P at 150 or
>> 200, it gets real jittery with a D of over 0.5.
>>
> Well, this all depends on INPUT_SCALE, motor response and inertia, and
> all sorts
> of other things, both software and mechanical.  Don't think that your
> numbers should match
> mine, as the motor to encoder link is so critical to the whole
> response.  One thing is if
> there is any backlash between the motor and the machine part to be
> moved, it really
> complicates the tuning.  Whenever the gear, or whatever, taps from one
> side to the
> other of the backlash, it creates a big impulse to the system.

I see. Currently, since I am only using pulleys with timing belts (no gears or
lead screws per se), I was under the impression that backlash is nearly
non-exisistent. Is that true?

My z-axis is pulleys with a ballscrew.

Of course as soon as I install the 5:1 gearbox on my X (hopefully here
tomorrow) then it will have some backlash (see below).

>> I see. So when I am tuning, I should start out with a modest acceleration
>> factor, then bump it up until I see a spike?
>>
> Yes.  If a big spike suddenly appears in a system that was previously
> well-behaved,
> that is a strong indication that some limit has just been reached, most
> likely the
> current limit if it appears on the accel/decel ramps.  You want to back off
> maybe 20% from there to allow cutting forces to be developed.  You don't
> want 100% of available torque to be used solely for acceleration.

Got it.

>> Yeah, I think the 5:1 gear box will get me somewhere in the same
>> neighborhood as your Bridgeport.
>>
>> My motor is definitely not weak though it is a 1125 oz-in Peak 90V/40A.
>>
> But, with the Gecko 320 turned all the way up, you only get 562 Oz-In
> since you can only feed it 20 A.  But, you are less likely to fry such a
> motor.

Good points.

>> Besides much more torque, I will be getting much better resolution. Just
>> dithering I am currently at 0.002+ inch, and currently when I rapid I am
>> getting an error of around 0.01. I think when I gear it down I could get
>> that closer to 0.001...
>>
> Yes, a 5:1 reduction should automatically give a 5:1 improvement in
> resolution. I hope those gear reducers are zero backlash, though.

Actually the gearbox is rated as 6 arcmin backlash. I did the math and that
seemed quite negligible to me, at least for my purposes. Thoughts?

Do you recommend any tricks, like springs or semi-flexible drive shaft?

>> Thanks again! You really got me feeling much better about tuning it went
>> from scary to feeling like I am almost in command now!
>>
> Yeah, the FIRST time, it is TOUGH!  Once you see how the various
> parameters interact, you start to understand what each one does.

Thanks again for all your help and patience Jon! I owe you a beer or two!

Best,

Jeshua Lacock
Founder/Engineer
3DTOPO Incorporated