On May 26, 2012, at 2:16 PM, andy pugh wrote:

> On 26 May 2012 21:10, Jeshua Lacock <jes...@3dtopo.com> wrote:
>
>> <http://3DTOPO.com/CNC-enclosure.png>
>>
>> Don't judge me too harshly, I was making sure everything works before I
>> finish tiding things up! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
>
> You could try routing the power and encoder in different directions.
> You can sort-of see that I did that with my power and step/dir lines
> in this cabinet:
> https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/NivmHU8OuXIcP2EQHUPruNMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

Hi Andy,

So, I re-routed the power wires to pretty much the most direct possible route,
and got rid of over 1 foot of power lines from the enclosure (I originally
thought it looked neater routing them all together).

I also twisted the power/ground lines together (thanks Jan!).

This seems to have fixed the worst of the issues, but still was occasionally
getting enough noise (or something) to make the drive fault out just dithering.

Then, just to see what might happen, I cut the encoder ground connected to the
encoder shield, and it looks like (preliminary speaking) it no longer faults
out. The drive is dithering at 0.0003 - 0.0006 with the worst spike now at
0.0012. Now even when it gets a "spike", it returns to the proper position
(unlike before with the 0.02+ spikes). Interestingly, it seems to act the
identically when I hook the earth ground up to the shield. So I guess I will
use the earth ground for the shield (thanks Gene!).

Do those numbers seem reasonable? One encoder pulse is 0.0003 on this axis.
Would tuning the PID help with the "spikes"? Currently I only have P set to 100
and I and D to 0….

Thanks,

Jeshua Lacock
Founder/Engineer