On May 27, 2012, at 11:21 AM, Kirk Wallace wrote:

> On Sat, 2012-05-26 at 23:31 -0500, Jon Elson wrote:
> ... snip
>> Jeshua's AMT-103 encoder has a 2 mA source/sink driver when used by
>> itself (without
>> the line driver cable option).  So, you can't apply too much of a
>> pull-down or it will
>> alter the logic levels.
>
> This is getting messy. I made a first attempt at a schematic of a single
> encoder setup. It should be attached. Also, the Inkscape SVG file is
> attached if someone wants to edit it. There are some missing bits, such
> as, how each component gets powered and grounded. I assumed the driver
> cable is used because 2ma just doesn't seem enough to drive the inputs
> well. Another message indicated an AMT102, so I used that, but makes
> little difference.

Hi Kirk,

Thanks for all your help! I would be happy to float you some PayPal dough for
your time.

But I am actually not using the AMT line driver cable. I think Jon may have got
that idea because I mentioned I had installed a differential encoder/decoder,
but it was from CNC4PC. I guess it is mostly the same, but in any event I
removed it because the drive was acting so erratic with it.

I now think it was interference in the cabinet, but not sure if I need to wire
up the differential again, as it seems pretty noise free now and starting to
look like it is actually a tuning issue at this point...

>>  It should be possible to read the logic levels
>> with a DVM by
>> very gently moving the motor and letting it settle, you should be able
>> to see both the
>> high and low logic levels.  The Universal Stepper Controller has about a
>> 2.5 V
>> logic threshold, the Gecko interface uses a PNP emitter follower driving the
>> opto-coupler's LEDs, but the threshold there also is about the same.
>
> The USC encoder inputs go directly to the FPGA or a buffer? Any
> hysteresis? Any pull ups?
>
> The Gecko encoder inputs go directly to a PNP base, maybe with a voltage
> divider? Any hysteresis? Pull ups?

I suppose these questions are for Jon as I don't have a clue!

Thanks again,

Jeshua Lacock
Founder/Engineer
3DTOPO Incorporated