On May 26, 2012, at 7:55 PM, Kirk Wallace wrote:

> On Sat, 2012-05-26 at 13:45 -0600, Jeshua Lacock wrote:
> ... snip
>> Interesting. So the pull down resistor would go on the encoder ground?
>
> No, between the encoder input terminal for each input having a problem
> to the ground associated with the input. This will lower the input
> impedance so the noise will be pulled closer to ground and also lower
> than the trip voltage. On the other hand it may also lower the ON
> voltage so the resistor needs to be high enough to keep the ON voltage
> above the ON trip point for the input. The minimum resistance should be
> higher than the current limit of the encoder output limit. If the
> encoder output current limit is say 10ma at 5 Volts, then V = I R and 5
> = .010 x R or R = 5/.01 = 500 Ohms. In this case 500 Ohms or higher
> could be used. You encoder may have different specifications.

Great, thanks for the great information Kirk!

Just because I am dense (or overly cautious), the resistor would go between the
A signal wire in my enclosure to the encoder power ground? Then the B signal
wire also to the encoder power ground?

So I guess if it is less than the minimum voltage, it is just sinked to the
ground? Very cool.

>> Was it connected at the control box end? I don't have much
>> electricity knowledge (no surprise there), so could you recommend what
>> size the resistor would be?
>
> Look for the encoder output current limit and working voltage and use
> Ohm's law as above as a guide. Maybe, double the resistance, say 1k Ohm,
> and see if it helps. An oscilloscope would be handy to see what the ON
> and OFF voltages are, but a voltmeter might be good enough to check the
> a continuous ON and OFF. The specifications for the input might call out
> what the ON and OFF voltages are. It might be that OFF needs to be lower
> than 1 Volt and ON higher than 3.5, but it could be different by quite a
> bit.

The encoder I have is in-fact 10ma max, 3.5-5v (I am giving it 5v though):

http://www.amtencoder.com/Product/AMT102

I think I have a bundle of 1k resistors laying around.

>> What size capacitor? Was it connected between the encoder DC +5v and
>> ground? Was it connected at the encoder end or the control box end?
>
> I believe I put my capacitor in parallel with the resistor, which is
> probably not proper. With the capacitor connected from the input pin to
> ground, will for a brief time act like a short circuit and could draw
> too much current from the encoder. My capacitor is small enough that the
> high current doesn't last long enough to hurt anything. The TI document,
> I linked earlier, shows the capacitor in series, or wired such that the
> input pin goes to the resistor, then to the capacitor, and then to
> ground. This has the advantage of having the resistor limiting the
> current. As the the capacitor charges the effective resistance goes
> from, let's say the example 1k Ohms, then higher. The capacitor stores
> and releases voltage so that it tends to try to keep the signal voltage
> constant. This can drown out fast noise spikes, but if the capacitor is
> too large, it can also drown out fast encoder signals that you may want
> to keep. If the resistor alone doesn't help, add the capacitor . Maybe
> try .01 microfarad. An oscilloscope will be needed to see what the cap
> does to your signal.

Interesting!

I don't have an oscilloscope, but its something I have been wanting.

I think the changes I have made got the axis in-check, but it still seems a bit
noisier than I would like. So I will try the resistors first.

> Others on this list have a lot more experience with this, so if any of
> the above is wrong, hopefully someone will speak up.
>
> I don't recall what your encoder and input hardware is. I may be able to
> narrow down some of the above, if you post this information. Oh, and
> also the encoder signal rate.

The encoder data sheet states 250 kHz max. I am using Pico Systems USC with the
Gecko interface and Gecko 320s (the non-X type).

Thanks again,

Jeshua Lacock
Founder/Engineer
3DTOPO Incorporated