I have a couple production machines installed running Mach3/Windows with
CF cards as the drives - there are some ways to grab part of the the
Windows XP embedded files and use them with Windows XP so you can
minimize writebacks to the drives.  These computers are going on 3 years
running 24x7.    I have several PCs running LinuxCNC on production
machines - one is running off a CF card and has been going 24x7 for over
2 years now.  I used a Seagate 160 gig laptop drive on another LinuxCNC
machine two years ago and that drive just failed.     I'm convinced that
SSDs or CFs are best for industrial machine control if you take measures
to minimize the disk writes to the device.   In any case Linux seems to
be easy on disks compared to Windows (why am I not surprised!)

In an industrial environment - mostly hot, not dusty - conventional
drives seem to last right about 2 years in the Midwest USA factories.
Not very long.

Many PLCs are now running with flash cards - usually SD type cards and I
have never seen a failure of one of those cards.   Keep the write back
under control and they should last for a very long time.

Dave