I have started using XFCE since ubuntu 12.04 came out, and it find it
quite usable.  Easiest way to get it is Xubuntu.  Linux Mint has and is
actively developing Cinnamon and MATE that are very nice options.  I
suspect that Gnome3 will die, and Unity may wind up adding back features
that make it more usable for the desktop.  Some of the features they
have are pretty nice for small screens.