Good news. I found a complete, original control for this exact robot on
ebay for ~$250!

A little wiring and now I am down to debugging coms instead of building a
control from scratch.

If this project works as i hope, the help everyone shared will be handy
when I replicate this setup in a lower cost version.

Thanks again,
Jason