It is evident that discussing servo tuning is going to
generate lots of interest and comments. Stephen and
Peter both have lots of academic and theoretical
background as well as practical experience to go
with it. Many of the rest of us only have casual
exposure to the concept of the response and tuning
of servo loops. In order to help keep this discussion
on track and meaningful for those of us in the casual
category I would like to suggest that the systems be
described completely when making statements about how
they behave.

As I understand things, Peter is referring to control
of brushless DC permanent magnet servo motors with
encoders that can provide only shaft position feedback.
Velocity, if used, is computed from position. I do not
know if the control circuits in Peter's drivers are
current mode, voltage mode, or some hybrid of the two.
I suspect that they are current mode with the current
loop controlled in the drives.

Stephen's mill I think has classic +/- 10 volt DC
controlled PWM type servo drivers running brush type
permanent magnet servo motors with both encoders for
position and tachometers for velocity. Stephen
stated that they are presently configured as voltage
mode so the +/- 10 volts DC signal adjusts the PWM
duty cycle and thus the apparent voltage seen by the
servo motor. The motor current is not being controlled
other than a protective limit on maximum current. This
classic type of driver also closes the velocity loop in
hardware, so if the motor voltage derived from just the
+/- 10 VDC input does not result in the specified speed,
then the tachometer feedback will alter the voltage
(PWM duty cycle) in an attempt to get the specified
speed. This is a servo loop in hardware and the driver
should have electronic control adjustments independent
of the PID in the LinuxCNC software. I am going to
guess that these controls address P (control voltage
gain), a gain adjustment for the Tachometer feedback
that, and an adjustment related to the time variant
response to changes in the control voltage and the
tachometer feedback voltage. This last one may be
similar in effect to a D term, but is likely not
a true D term. As best I know the driver does not
have an I term. These types of drivers usually also
have an offset or nulling term that may be similar
to FF0. All of this is happening in the servo driver,
not in the PID software in LinuxCNC, so it is an
"inside" loop.

So now, how do we talk about apples to apples comparison
of these two control systems? In both cases the PID in
LinuxCNC receives only a position feedback and is the
outermost loop of the control system that is used to
control position. Perturbations to the PID control can
come from both changes in the requested position and
from changes in the mechanical response to the control
system. As I understand it there is a 90 degree phase
shift in the response of the position loop between the
types of loop control, current-torque, or voltage-velocity
and this alone keeps me confused about where the response
poles are and how to adjust for them.

While it is natural to describe servo systems mathematically,
please try to include intuitive descriptions for those of
us who are mathematically challenged.

Thanks,
Steve Stallings