Gene Heskett wrote:
> And I never considered the iron loses Jon, but you are dead on.

Mariss Freimanis of Gecko describes some torture tests he did years ago
and reported this.

>> I make affordable servo amps for brushless motors, and
>> have one on my minimill.  You do need to get rotor position
>> info from the motor, most small ones have Hall sensors that
>> you connect to the servo amp.  I use 500 cycle/rev encoders
>> on mine, that is quite satisfactory.
>>
>> Jon
>>

> That also makes great sense as long as its economical enough to do.

The Gecko 201 series sells for $114, my brushless servo amp sells
for $150, for 20 A at 120 V.  Not vastly more expensive than a
good stepper drive.  Of course you need a PWM generator to run my
servo amp, but then you need a hardware step generator to get
full performance out of a microstepped stepper motor, too.

Jon