On Friday 12 April 2013 13:36:59 Jon Elson did opine:

> Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Humm, now that you mention that, I read something similar on the net a
> > few years agom from somebody at Gecko.  Could have been the same
> > person I'd have to assume.
>
> Mariss is the designer and owner of Gecko, and an awesome engineer.
>
> > Which is 17 amps more than my lathe spindle has.  I wonder if that
> > could make me a REAL variable speed spindle.  This one runs out of
> > steam when the steel is above 5/8" in diameter.  Supposedly a 250
> > watt motor, older 7zx12. I'd like to take it up to shaving 1.75" to
> > 2" stock.  Could that reverse w/o needing to toggle a 4pdt relay?
>
> Yes.  I use one of my servo amps to run the spindle of my minimill, and
> it does
> reversing under computer control when rigid tapping.  If you have some
> kind of spindle speed sensing or spindle encoder, then you could have
> closed-
> loop spindle speed control.
>
> Jon

I don't have that on the mill, very limited space to install, and a very
dirty environment inside the gear case.  Lots of flying grease.  Which
doesn't help, and may hinder because grease deteriorates some plastics,
I've lost the hubs out of 2 of those "nylon" gears now.

Just one of the reasons why that mill may yet get replaced to a grizzly
go704.

Cheers, Gene
My views
To Perl, or not to Perl, that is the kvetching.
                -- Larry Wall in <199801200310.taa11...@wall.org>
dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million
          law-abiding citizens.