On Friday 12 April 2013 21:26:22 andy pugh did opine:

> On 12 April 2013 23:55, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:
> >> Some of us have hobbing equipment and can make gears.
> >
> > Maybe, but thats a lot of work for someone with little return & no
> > noise reduction.
>
> I do it for fun. But you will be appalled at the noise increase.

Its quite tiresome to these old ears now, not just the whine, but the
rattling too.

> Belt drive probably is the way to go.
> Did I mention I can make belt pulleys too?
> http://youtu.be/ltmZrDrt6pQ

I see that.  I have an A table and its tailstock, but the tooth would have
to be rather laboriously formed by a ball nosed, small mill.  And I would
have to figure out the initial diameter needed to get x teeth per turn,
which in gilmer belting, seems to be pretty critical else the belt would be
obviously trying to climb out of the slot near the end of the wrap.  I
would probably be farther ahead just to order the pulleys, and using a 5mm
center hole as a locater, machine the holes to fit the shafting.  That also
means a sliding mount for the motor so the belt could be flipped from pair
to pair.  That whole box with its sliding cluster gear setup, needs to go,
its way too big now that the controller has been removed and it gets in the
way of the A axis, severely restricting table movement because of that in
favor of a slightly taller but much more compact direct to the spindle from
the motor belted design.  One with about 2x the low speed geardown
available now, and the same 2x higher on the top end.  And my screws are
wearing out, just another reason to go get the G0704 & put some real screws
in it.

There are other, heavier and more rigid machines available but that one is
by far the most operating volume per dollar spent.

Cheers, Gene
My views
University politics are vicious precisely because the stakes are so small.
                -- C. P. Snow
dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million
          law-abiding citizens.