I did a gantry system with LinuxCNC a few years back.  The gantry was
very stiff and self squaring when powered off.  The gantry was 10-12
feet across and very heavy.   It used used 2 - 1 KW servo drives driving
two ball screws on each end of the gantry for the Y axis.  In order to
keep things simple I used step and direction on the servo drives and fed
the same signals to both of the Y axis servo drives.   It homes to a
prox switch but since this is a waterjet, the home position really isn't
all that important.  That machine has been running for almost 3 years
now everyday.   It has never had any homing issues.

I keep hearing that Gantrykins has issues.  If you wanted to stick with
Trivkins I would try to implement something in hal probably with some
custom components that did something like this:
Gear both axes together at 1:1 and do some minor hal tricks to have both
of them follow each other towards the home switches.  Then detect which
axis sees it's home switch first, then back that axis up a predetermined
amount, continue to run the other axis until it's home switch is seen,
then back that axis up a predetermined amount.  If more precision is
required, repeat the routine at a much lower speed.  I think some hal
logic and probably one or two custom components would be required, but
it should not be very difficult.   Once the homing is complete, shift
the hal logic so that both axes are again locked/geared together.   This
would avoid gantrykins and the associated issues.  The limit3 component
can be used to drive an axis.  That would be a good component to use as
part of or morph into another custom component that could be part of
this scheme.

Running both drives into a hard stop might be workable if the homing
speeds are low, but with big servo drives and a heavy gantry, probably
not a good idea.

Dave Cole