I have two G540 units. One of them refuses to step on the Y channel when
the step rate is below 110Hz. If the step rate is slowly lowered the
stepping stops very cleanly at 110 Hz. This is not affected by step
pulse length.
I communicated with Geckdrive about this and it was a suspected fault in
the MB of the G540.
I was offered to send the G540 for repair but I never did out of
laziness, I could live with only three live channels.