On Monday 05 August 2013 12:55:21 andy pugh did opine:

> On 5 August 2013 16:05, John Alexander Stewart <ivatt...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > 2) Here's my 5i25 config section for the G540:
> >
> > setp hm2_5i25.0.stepgen.01.position-scale [AXIS_1]SCALE
> > setp hm2_5i25.0.stepgen.01.steplen 1500
> > setp hm2_5i25.0.stepgen.01.stepspace 2500
> > setp hm2_5i25.0.stepgen.01.dirhold 2000
> > setp hm2_5i25.0.stepgen.01.dirsetup 2000
>
> I would try doubling all these as an experiment. Even then you will
> have a max theoretical motor speed of 4,600rpm at 8x microstepping.
> And I doubt that the stepper can really do more than 1000rpm.

I would try an x4 just for starters Andy.  From messages here on the list,
it appears the opto's in the 540 are really slow devices.  If that fixes
it, then speed it up by multiplying each one by .8 until the really slow
one is found.  If that doesn't fix it, I'd sure look at the BOB's output to
see if it has enough power to even drive a 540.  Or maybe even start at the
BOB's input, maybe the parport itself is too puny, and from comments made
here, some of the 3.3 volt stuff on some motherboards doesn't seem to have
adequate drive.  On a scope, seeing logic ones below 3.1 volts, or logic
zeros above .20 volts is prima facie evidence the driving hardware is duff
& needs either replaced or buffered with some power capable buffers.

Maybe I am lucky, but with the atom boards, whose parport is probably a 3.3
volt port, and the CNC4PC C1G BOB's, I have had zero such problems.  Each
output of the C1G can source or sink 24 mills, and drive the output pin to
within .125 volts of either supply rail doing it.

Cheers, Gene
My views
Fudd's First Law of Opposition:
        Push something hard enough and it will fall over.
         law-abiding citizens.