On Saturday 14 September 2013 10:24:55 Kent Reed did opine:

> Trying to head off the inevitable flurry of followup messages, I should
> note that DesignSpark says
>
> *"Operating Systems:*
> Microsoft® Windows XP with Service Pack 3
> Microsoft® Windows Vista™
> Microsoft® Windows 7
> Microsoft® Windows 8
> DesignSpark Mechanical is not supported on virtual platforms."
>
> I don't know if "is not supported" means "it won't work" or just "we
> don't care enough to test".
>
> I use Windows when I must and Unix/Linux when I can so this is not a
> problem for me but I know it will be for others. So be it.
>
> In any case, I have to wait a couple days to find out if the product
> merits adding to my portfolio.
>
> Regards,
> Kent

That's a bummer. There are no windoze machines on the premises here.

That leaves freecad, with a mile high vertical climb to use it because the
docs aren't.  Pretty eye candy yes.  Tell you how, no.  But what really un-
impresses me about it is that after all this time (3-4 years now) that Dan
Heeks has been putting his coding output into freecad, pulling HeeksCNC
seems to not even be on his radar screen.  Bottom line is that I can lay it
out on paper, and write the gcode to do the admittedly simple stuff I can
imagine, and make it, long before I have succeeded in making even a
wireframe of whats in my head.

I just updated to the last incremental release, built yesterday and the
single most annoying missing feature to using its builtin browser to look
at the docs, is that 2 years progress at what looks to be a fairly capable
program, it STILL doesn't have a "back" button!  By the time I have started
a project, and would like to follow along one of the demo's by using the
docs as a tutorial, the only way to get back to your project is to quit
freecad, restart it, and reload your project.  By then, getting back to the
step you were on, and what the docs said have both been forgotten.

Hello, anybody home? I can see the lights are on.

There is a link to "printable" docs that are not unless you want to do 1 to
3 pages at a time, of a subject that probably needs a ream of double sided
paper.  But those docs are a version behind, 0.13 is most of 2 years old
now, and yesterdays build claims to be 0.14.

So the close button gets clicked again, having wasted an hour without
accomplishing a thing.

And I have several eagle src'ed pcb's to make, accessory & upgrade stuff
for the coco's, starting with a larger pallet to hold the boards, and while
Highland Hardware in Hotlanta still has the raw micarta to make them with,
but compared to 2 or 3 years ago's product, this stuff is crap.  No formica
like facing at all, cold flows measurably.  You can see it on a dial
indicator 1/2" from a hold down clamp.

Cheers, Gene
My web page: <http://gene.homelinux.net:6309/gene> should be up!

Mike:   "The Fourth Dimension is a shambles?"
Bernie: "Nobody ever empties the ashtrays.  People are SO inconsiderate."
                -- Gary Trudeau, "Doonesbury"
         law-abiding citizens.