30% hydrogen peroxide is normally available at hair dressers for bleaching
hair.

On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 11:30 AM, dave <dengv...@charter.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 2013-09-28 at 23:03 -0600, Gregg Eshelman wrote:
> > On 9/28/2013 5:16 AM, Erik Friesen wrote:
> > > For the high speed vacuum, why not just use an external tank, with
> plumbing
> > > valve or equivalent to switch to whichever has highest vacuum?
> >
> > That's fine if you have the space and funds for a big tank, and a good
> > vacuum pump. I bought an old but excellent condition Gast rotary vane
> > vacuum pump, but haven't used it in some years since for the mold making
> > and casting I do pressure has worked much better.
> >
> > Pulling a vacuum in a large tank takes quite a bit of time, unless you
> > get a very high volume pump - and you'd best have a high volume bank
> > balance to get one. ;-)
> >
> > Instead of one large tank some smaller ones can be ganged together with
> > a manifold. Propane tanks with the valves removed so they can be hooked
> > together with as large of pipe as possible will work, but getting the
> > smelly stuff out can be a problem. I tried it with one tank, with the
> > insides of the valve removed and opened up some with a drill to reduce
> > restriction as much as I could. The stink would draw right through the
> > vacuum pump and smell up the whole shop.
>
> mercaptans are soluble in sodium hydroxide soln; don't know the ideal
> concentration. Also Clorox should oxidize them but be careful about
> using on concentrated mercaptans due to rapid reaction rate. Dissolving
> them in sodium hydroxide and then oxidizing with hydrogen peroxide
> should work but the commonly available 3% peroxide may be a little
> wimpy. 30% works better but is hard to get and nasty to handle.
> YMMV
> HTH
>

> > To sorta on-topic this, one of the tasks I plan to put my mill to is
> > making prototypes of things in metal to use as masters for RTV molds to
> > make plastic castings.

> > October Webinars: Code for Performance
> > Free Intel webinars can help you accelerate application performance.
> > Explore tips for MPI, OpenMP, advanced profiling, and more. Get the most
> from
> > the latest Intel processors and coprocessors. See abstracts and register
> >

> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=60133471&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk

><> ... Jack

On today's episode of 'This Ol Geek'...
"Texas is the finest portion of the globe that has ever blessed my vision."
- Sam Houston
"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart"... Colossians 3:23
"If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the precipitate" -
Henry J. Tillman
"Anyone who has never made a mistake, has never tried anything new." -
Albert Einstein
"You don't manage people; you manage things. You lead people." - Admiral
Grace Hopper, USN
"Life is complex: it has a real part and an imaginary part." - Martin Terma