On 11/29/2013 7:28 PM, Chris Radek wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 05:27:17PM -0700, Sebastian Kuzminsky wrote:
>>
>> I think a #include-like directive would be both useful and easy to
>> implement, but i'm not volunteering to do it.  ;-)
>
> I think this might be barking up the wrong tree: a tree that only
> you and your fellow programmers can see.
>
> I gently suggest considering whether concentrating on our
> configurators like stepconf might be better in the long run for
> fixing the root problem: that configuring is intricate and hard for
> the new user.  [actually I'm not sure what "root problem" Charles is
> trying to solve so I am guessing here -- something stepconf doesn't
> currently handle perhaps?]

If you're volunteering to write "3D-Conf" that runs on the BeagleBone
and is geared towards 3D printers, I'm willing to test it out!  :)

Basically, what I'm trying to do is make it safer for an end user to
modify their setup for a 3D printer.  At the moment, that means trying
to put some things the user can and should change (like axis gain) into
a file separate from a bunch of stuff they shouldn't be changing (like
the gcode interpreter).  Unlike mill retrofits, there is a *LOT* of
commonality between the RepRap flavor 3D printers that can be
pre-configured and stored in a few common files, but some things still
need to be setup for a specific machine (axis gain, maximum
accelerations, etc).

I can do a lot of things like adjust homing switch polarity via HAL, but
AFAIK the top-level motion stuff (ie: [TRAJ] and [AXIS n]) has to come
from an INI file.  That's why I'm wanting to have a more modular way to
build the INI.

As for stepconf or other auto-generated config files, I think this is a
good option.  I also think a simplified "flat" HAL/INI file setup is OK
to require if you're going to use an automated config generation tool
like StepConf.

--
Charles Steinkuehler
char...@steinkuehler.net