Andy's description of the Mach external pulser API
is correct.

The device driver gets to select the length of the
buffer and also select a "pulses per time slice"
or a way-point version of the data.

USB under Windows seems to require at least 1 second
of buffered data to be workable. Not pleasant, but
lots of people use it anyway. USB itself is not the
problem, it is the Windows protocol stack that can
cause significant delays. It is optimized for throughput
not minimum latency.

E-Stop, limits, homing, probing, and threading are the
responsibility of the device and its driver. This results
in lots of complicated code in the driver and significant
variations in performance from one type of device to another.

Steve Stallings