On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 10:00 AM, Dave Cole <linuxcncro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/3/2014 8:09 AM, Mark Wendt wrote:
> > Yup.  And how many users out there actually secure their network, or just
> > put their router, fresh out of the box, up on the network and let 'er
> rip?
>
> But that is like leaving your house unlocked or the keys in your car
> ignition.
>
> You and I can't fix that!
>
> It wasn't long ago that routers all shipped with the same default password.
>
> Dave

True dat.  And like you said, you and I can't fix that.  But, we can talk
about the need for it, and talk about the possible security problems those
kinds of situations may entail.

There are reasons why typically web, mail and other kinds of servers are
put in DMZ's.  Mainly to keep those machines isolated from the private
internal networks, because of the security concerns caused by the
vulnerabilities those types of machines have running those kinds of network
software.

Mark