On Wed, 21 May 2014 08:31:19 -0400, you wrote:

>Since lcnc has no clue about the ballistics of the reverse, and therefore
>cannot predict the over travel, I'm not sure there can be a fix for that
>other than setting the -limit well into the chuck.

My neg working units limit is often well into the spindle - cant
bore/drill etc inside the chuck otherwise. I have a moveable limit
switch on the spindle end of the bed and a home/limit switch on the base
of the tailstock where the saddle hits it.

However - I don't use home in LinuxCNC, it's not lathe friendly - I have
no homing set in ini. Limit switches are enabled though. I simply zero
on the end of the work. Just have to remember to leave enough stuck out
the chuck so the tool don't hit it on external turning/threading and
parting off.

The end of the stock is my master datum point Z0. Everything else relies
on that. CAM sorts out the tool change position for each tool and the
start/finish "at rest" position. My tool table in CAM is set up. It's
all zero's in LinuxCNC.

CAM knows the shape, working length and overhang for each tool. (plus
lots of other params) and works out tool paths using all these
parameters. Frightens me at times when the tool misses the end of the
job by tiny amounts - I have it set to adjust them as work
diameter/length changes during the job if I am making a lot of parts -
saves time.

Steve Blackmore