On 06/07/2014 02:24 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> The general consensus is that the nurses on some of my
> other lists, have never heard of anyone surviving a PE
> event. That makes me a rare bird indeed.
Lots of people survive minor pulmonary embolisms.  Sometimes
they don't
even know they had one, until sometime later a scarred-over
area in the lungs
is detected on a chest X-ray.  I know a couple other people
who have had
somewhat larger PE's, and survived (not larger than yours,
larger than
the ones that go undetected.  They had shortness of breath
and went to
the ER, and it was treated as yours was.)  If the embolism
blocks off the
pulmonary artery to one whole lung, then the chance to survive
drops a lot.  If it completely blocks the artery, you're
dead before you
hit the floor.

So, it is all a matter of degrees as to how large the
blockage is.
But, sounds like yours must have been very far up on the
scale of
blockages that can be survived.  And, of course, the RIGHT
treatment
in time is critical!

Jon