Hi Aram.
As I suggest to you , IMHO the best way to interface Classic Ladder stand
alone with the field IO is Modbus.
You can find a lot of industrial grade hardware that will work with (
Advantech
<http://www.advantechdirect.com/eMarketingPrograms/L021113P1%20Sensor/ADAM4000_page.htm>
Modbus Serial Line IO Modules , Advantech
<http://www.advantech.com/products/GF-5TZ5/ADAM-4572/mod_1e01192d-95a1-42a4-b199-79343134f4ca.aspx>
Modbus TCP/IP Gateway).
I prefer to use Modbus TCP/IP because of ethernet cables easy to have and
because of speed for refreshing the IO image.
You can use also the parport with a breadboard but I never tried it .
I don't think there is a limitation for the number of ladder rungs you can
edit.
Maybe is a configuration matter but onestly I don't know.
At the moment I'm not at my office so I can't check it for you . Sorry.

Alex