More fiddling and it appears the encoder is 2000 CPR. At any given speed
selection the spindle is turning a bit faster than specified, with the
difference becoming greater the higher the speed. I believe this is due to it
being a UK lathe and running at 60Hz instead of 50Hz, at least the difference
seems to match that ratio. As a result the spindle-at-speed is staying false at
all but the lowest speeds. I'm not sure of the best way to deal with this, not
using spindle at speed, setting the tolerance rather high, something else? I
seem to recall there was a parameter somewhere for an analog output offset that
I could perhaps use, or how can I run the spindle closed loop and let linuxCNC
hold the exact spindle speed?