On 19/10/14 16:14, John Alexander Stewart wrote:
> Windows still has a strangle hold on desktop computing, even though
> Microsoft is nowhere to be seen in the mobile field. For the first time
> since 1996, I'm getting a windows desktop at work; Microsoft still has a
> stranglehold on corporate/government offices.

My laptop with the CAD/CAM on is still W7, but for the last couple of
months it has had a problem with 'updates' and while some are now
getting through, I can't run update manually. As a result I've been
looking at the Linux alternatives, and things like FreeCAD, LibreCAD and
since I'm also on PCB layout, KiCAD are pushing to be usable
replacements. Since the rest of my desktop has been Linux for many years
it's a refreshing change!

Started to document the change
http://medw.co.uk/wiki/Living+with+CAD-CAM+today

--