On Friday 01 May 2015 06:15:02 Mark Wendt wrote:
> On Fri, May 1, 2015 at 6:07 AM, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:
> > On Friday 01 May 2015 05:15:24 Mark Wendt wrote:
> > > On Fri, May 1, 2015 at 12:52 AM, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com>
> > > wrote: <snippage>

> > > Get 'em one a these - Ebay #171772965816
> > >
> > > ;-)
> > >
> > > Mark
> >
> > That one is out of calibtration by now, and uncalibratable because
> > the input attenuator parts are out of stock.  I will never touch a
> > 20 yo Tek again after my experience trying to get them to warranty
> > the tube that was clearly defective in a 22xx, 100mhz dual trace
> > when it was new in 1984.  I finally bought a crt and put it in
> > myself.  Long since replaced with a good Hitachi. 30 years later its
> > still in pretty close calibration.
> >
> > Getting scope poor around here though, I bought a DS0-1 a couple
> > years back, already have a Hitachi V1065, 100 mhz dual trace analog
> > and just last fall bought a dual trace 100mhz digital.  For 1 shot
> > storage, its amazing.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
>
> Never say never.  I own a set of them there input attenuators, as well
> as almost all the gear required to calibration most Tek analog scopes,
> up to, and including the 7104 1 GHz mainframe.

How deep are your pockets?

When that 2235 was about 7 years old, I found the input attenuator wasn't
anywhere near the 1,2,5 sequence on 1 channel, off on both but waaaayyy
off on one, as it had been left for days looking at a 285 volt dc level,
with 150 volts of video on it, looking for an intermittent, which when
it finaly showed itself, was a bad .5 uf paper capacitor that was
opening up.

Called tek after having verified the R's on that fawncy ceramic plate
were sick (but not discolored in the least), found that it was past the
federally mandated 5 years since it went out of production for parts
availability, that yes they still had one left, no claims that it was
good, and they wanted $1750 from me for the privilege of testing it when
I installed it.  I sent it to the transmitter forever, and spent that
money and another thou on a Hitachi v1085, which 20 some years later
still self tests itself at powerup and remains in calibration yet today.
The pushbuttons aren't getting as much use today so they are a bit
flaky, but then so are the buttons on my 30 yo V1065, whose computer
isn't near as smart as the later version.

> And there are quite a few shops out there that will cal the scopes
> with certs if you require them too.

Which is why I asked if you had really deep pockets. We have been frugal
so I could do it, once. But I would never hear the end of it for paying
3 or 4 grand to calibrate a 99 dollar (+ ship, that thing must weigh 35
lbs) ebay scope.  For under a $500 bill you can own a 2ghz digital
sampler that masquerades as a 200Mhz, dual trace scope, with a full
color display 2x the size of the teks, and 10x brighter.  And weighs 2
lbs & change.

The beginning of the end for tek was when they went public, then bought,
or was bought, by the Grass Valley Group, both of which made top of the
line test and production video gear IN THEIR DAY.  Then they rested on
their 1980 laurals.  Today, they are both history, having been surpassed
in the night by people whose names you may never have heard of, but who
WILL give you the state of the art tools you need today, at a reasonable
asking price.

I gotta say it, Mark, that 2015 morning coffee smells pretty darned good
from here.  The 1985 version?  Gah, its hopelessly burnt sitting on the
back burner that long.