Hello

Have a look here for the sizes of the ER nuts (there are several versions).

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/ER-chuck-nut-ER-collet-nut-ER-nut-ER11-50-type-A-M-UM/506241_528850800.html

For ER 20 (the smallest that can take a 1/2'' tool shank), the minimum
diameter would be 28 mm, with a type M nut.
So from your 40 mm spindle body, that would give you an extra 6 mm of
clearance.

With the much more common hex-head nut, the gain would be minimal - only
3 mm.