On Monday 21 September 2015 10:57:04 Jim Craig wrote:

> On 9/21/2015 9:45 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Greetings everybody;
> >
> > Thinking in electronic ink here...
> >
> > Is there a quick & dirty but adequate way to extend the 2 most
> > common carbide bit sizes in my collection in order to gain clearance
> > between the workpiece and its holding jigs? Something like an ER8
> > that I can plug into an R8 maybe?
> >
> > What would be a good google search term?  Or just hit Tormach's
> > site. Their ER20 adapter covers up to 1/2", and sells for $34.95.
> > Tolerable good. And it looks like it would extend the reach of a
> > tool by at least 1.5".  Thats also good, gets the quill housing up
> > high enough to clear the jigs. The 15 count collet set is $192, or
> > the 30 count set is $372, probably more accurate than some of the
> > others, but hey, I'm carving wood here.
> >
> > Grizzly wants $317 for the whole 16 piece kit including adapter,
> > South Bend brand.  Neither seem to say what the OD of the nut is and
> > I've already hit the side of the spindle against this jig when it
> > was on the toy mill, whose rotating spindle nose is 40mm.
> >
> > But I hit a lick at LittleMachineShop. Tormach adapter & 3 collets,
> > 1/8, 1/4 & 3/8, for $72.95 shipped.  That will or should cover 98%
> > of what I'll be doing.
> >
> > In the meantime I can make a new holddown bar for this jig out of
> > solid maple, and set it about 3/8" farther away from the tool
> > travel.  And maybe glue on an extension to the flat plane of the
> > front of the jig for additional workpiece support as some pieces
> > will project close to 4 feet off the front of the table when
> > mounted.
> >
> > Todays projects. ;-)  Keeps me out of the bars don'tcha know. ;-)
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
>
> Plain old R8 collet in the spindle would gain you the most headroom,
> but you would loose your tool length offset each time you did a tool
> change unless the tool has a depth collar on it.
>
> Jim

You cannot let enough tool project from the R8 to make that practical,
Jim.

Some of this jig is 2" taller than the 1 by Mahogany being carved is
tall.  The spindle brake, mounted on the quill housing makes it all
about 5" in diameter, plus the brake pin sticks out in front by about
3/4".  So I must have a fairly rigid 1.5" or more extension which it
looks as if the Tormach 3/4 spud R8 to ER-20 adaptor will give me enough
to work with.  It's at least 1.5" longer when seated in the R8 collet.
And I moved the hold-down bar back from the work area about 5/8" from
where it was before, so I am hoping that will  give me clearance so the
nut on the Tormach tool adapter won't hit the hold down bar.