On Monday 21 September 2015 10:45:52 Gene Heskett wrote:

> Greetings everybody;
>
> Thinking in electronic ink here...
>
> Is there a quick & dirty but adequate way to extend the 2 most common
> carbide bit sizes in my collection in order to gain clearance between
> the workpiece and its holding jigs? Something like an ER8 that I can
> plug into an R8 maybe?
>
> What would be a good google search term?  Or just hit Tormach's site.
> Their ER20 adapter covers up to 1/2", and sells for $34.95. Tolerable
> good. And it looks like it would extend the reach of a tool by at
> least 1.5".  Thats also good, gets the quill housing up high enough to
> clear the jigs. The 15 count collet set is $192, or the 30 count set
> is $372, probably more accurate than some of the others, but hey, I'm
> carving wood here.
>
> Grizzly wants $317 for the whole 16 piece kit including adapter, South
> Bend brand.  Neither seem to say what the OD of the nut is and I've
> already hit the side of the spindle against this jig when it was on
> the toy mill, whose rotating spindle nose is 40mm.
>
> But I hit a lick at LittleMachineShop. Tormach adapter & 3 collets,
> 1/8, 1/4 & 3/8, for $72.95 shipped.  That will or should cover 98% of
> what I'll be doing.
>
> In the meantime I can make a new holddown bar for this jig out of
> solid maple, and set it about 3/8" farther away from the tool travel.
> And maybe glue on an extension to the flat plane of the front of the
> jig for additional workpiece support as some pieces will project close
> to 4 feet off the front of the table when mounted.
>
> Todays projects. ;-)  Keeps me out of the bars don'tcha know. ;-)

Done, waiting on LMS now.  And this time the jigs hold down bar bolts are
screwed in straight as I drilled, and tapped them 3/8-16, right into the
white ash of the jig, using the mill to both drill straight, and run the
G33.1 rigid tap routine to tap the hole, but the tap drill was sized for
about a 102% thread depth.  And found that the 1 horse motor, in low
gear and in its present PID tune, was stalled by the tap from about 400
revs if I tried to tap .5mm deeper than the hole.  That was good because
I could hit esc, loosen the chuck and back the chuck off the tap shank,
and remove the tap with a pair of vice-grips, leaving a good looking
thread in the hole.

Then spent from about 16:00 to now, burning in one of those Lowes burn
contraptions, about 300 lbs of old scrap from the workshop's and yard
trash.  Some of it dated from the direcho that blew thru in 2010.

A fine mist is in the air, so that nice bed of coals will not burn
completely, darnit.

I am with Jon on getting one of these tilt heads back into tram.  Its a
meticulous pain in the back to get it to where I can set a dial against
a piece of 1/2" A2 about 6" long in the 1/2" R8 collet.  The first thing
I found was that it was whipping about 8 thou in the X direction when
the Z was reversed, so that took about 4 full turns on the gib adjusters
to reduce it to half a thou.  Then the drill rod had some rust, causing
an ever increasing runout the farther the dial was from the R8, so I
wound up running the spindle at about 40 revs & slapping the head with
the bolts slightly loose, with a hammer until I could run it up & down
about 4" with a center of needle swing staying within a thou.

Too fussy?  Maybe.  You guys tell me.