Instead of a hand-off you could run both axes all the time.  If you command a
100mm move,
the main axis would move 50mm and the auxiliary axis would also move 50mm.

To do that with steppers you could simply send the same step pulses to both
motors (if they
have the same steps-per-mm).  Then tell LinuxCNC that the steps-per-mm is half
of the
value for each motor.

Homing might be a challenge.  You would like the home switch for each axis to
cut off
the step pulses for that axis, and not tell LinuxCNC that the switch has been
hit until
the machine actually hits both switches.  HAL can do that if you are doing
software
stepping.

On Tue, Nov 17, 2015, at 12:51 PM, Marius Liebenberg wrote:
> That will work for servos but in my case I am using steppers. Not sure
> if the problem is the same. I want the axis to be spit in two and the
> controller must know when to use what stepper to get all the way from 0
> to 6000mm. Somewhere in the middle there must be some sort of handover
> between the two steppers.
>

>   :
> >
> >>  has anyone attempted this kind of silly
> >>  arrangement?